View Single Post
Former Teacher 01:56 PM 05-14-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I have this 4 year old dcg that I have been watching for 3 years now so I have had her for a long time. She is actually my first daycare child I got. When I started my rates were $100 per wk. I saw that everyone else in the area was much higher so last year I raised my rates to $130 on all new children and existing parents paid $125. I never had an attendence policy and mom would get whoever to watch this girl all the time to avoid paying so much so when I raised the rates I also limited it to 2 days off per month without pay. Beginning in September she has notice that she will pay for all days regardless. So the last couple of weeks mom keeps telling me that Grandma wants to have dcg a couple times this summer. I thought it was just conversation. Then she asked me last wk if her Grandma wanted her a couple times a week what would happen with her payment? I told her it would be the same policy and that if she was off on a Friday she could drop it off by 5pm or pay me on the last day of care and I would hold it until Friday. She looked upset but didn't say anything else. Last night she tells me that her work is cutting hours so she will have one day a week off and Grandma still wants her for 2 days this summer. She wants to know what the rate would be for 2 set days per week. I told her I do not do part time, especially for summer. She pointed out a couple kids that are only here sometimes and I didn't think it was her business but I told her they pay me full time for the spot. The girl starts school in September so if I lost her, I could fill the spot with more money from a full time child so not a big deal but she is my first child ever and don't want to see her go, but I really need full time income at this point. Any suggestions/advice?
I would simply tell her that you no longer do part time care and you do have waiting list. Either she pays full time rate and can use the days/hours as she wishes OR you will have to terminate her as she is going to school in the fall.

I know its easier said then done esp considering the history. However you have to look out for your business and your future.

Good Luck!