View Single Post
NeedaVaca 08:08 AM 02-21-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I keep all of the baby's toys, equipment, etc. completely off limits to the older kids, as well as not allowing the older kids to hover over the baby - basically they have to stay at arms reach.

My families are all pretty good about not bringing sick children anyway, but I also tighten up my illness policies if necessary.

Along with the usual cleaning and disinfecting these things have always worked pretty well for me.

Plus, don't they say that being exposed to more germs makes for a healthier child in the long run?
Exposing kids to germs yes but not a newborn...their immune systems are not mature enough to handle it. That's why Dr's say to be so careful the first 6 weeks. Breastfeeding will help build their immune systems. I don't have a lot of advice other than the obvious, wash your hands every time before picking up your baby. I'm not sure what else can be done that hasn't already been mentioned. If you have good parents just kindly ask them for the 1st 4-6 weeks to keep sick children home, even colds. Hopefully you will have the baby during months where the colds aren't as bad as they are right now