View Single Post
Unregistered 03:10 PM 04-15-2013
My son goes to a large in-home daycare/preschool. They are ALWAYS having events and activities and encourage the parents to come. It seems like multiple times a month! I've gone a few times, but honestly its really hard with work and if I'm taking time off and not getting paid I want to spend it with my kids, not necessarily with their daycare! I appreciate the effort and that the providers are trying to include the parents... but I wish they didn't. You can tell that the kids are out of sorts having the parents there, then either DS could care less that I'm there because he's in the daycare groove and playing with his friends... or he doesn't want me to leave when the event is over and is begging to go with me which just makes me feel awful. On the flip side, I don't want to be "the parent that never shows up."

It seems like the kids (and providers) would be having more fun if the parents weren't there, and the older kids sometimes ask why their parents aren't there but so-and-so's are and it just seems like it isn't a good idea. Or works better for stay at home parents that have chosen to send their kids to daycare. Like I said, as much as I do love and appreciate our daycare provider, if I'm taking time off work, I want it to be quality time with my kids, not an event at their DC.

I have absolutely no problem doing things like sending recipes, or making stuffed easter eggs or valentines or thigns like that to send. Its just hard for my physically being there for a chunk of time in the middle of the day.