View Single Post
Laurel 06:58 PM 09-21-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My baby (5 months old) started daycare last month. I went with this particular daycare because it was an older woman (60), lots of experience, and of course I feel she is wonderful with kids. Well, she recently got a boyfriend and I have noticed that she has been gone a few times and her assistant has been watching the kids. On thursday, i think she was gone the entire day and did not tell me. The assistant is 20, and I like her, but I feel that they should both be there. Any recommendations on how I should handle the conversation? I don't want to come off as rude, but I do want to let her know that I'm not comfortable with her assistant just watching my child all the time. Also, I need to make sure this new boyfriend is finger printed and cleared .

Since you all are day care providers what would be your recommendation?

Thanks.
It probably depends on the area you are in. Our licensing rules requires anyone who LIVES in the home to go through background/finger printing, etc. I think it also requires those who are visiting for an extended period and who will be staying at the house. For example, out of town visitors who are staying a few months.

Whatever the rules are where you are it doesn't matter. If you are uncomfortable then you should ask her.

As a provider, I always tell the parents if I am going to be gone. If I have a doctor's appointment then my legal substitute (my husband) watches the children unless the parents prefer not to bring them instead. I always tell them even if I'm only gone an hour or so. I would never, ever be gone a whole day. I don't even like to go to a doctor's appointment because I just feel it is my responsibility to watch the children.

She may not realize it might bother a parent since she has her assistant there who I assume is qualified and legal. It would bother me too because I would want to be told if I were a parent.

You just need to tell her that while you like the assistant you assumed you would be told if she herself was not going to be there and you would feel better if she was. I'm not sure how you would address the boyfriend. Maybe just ask her if she plans on him being at the house while the children are there and, if so, has he been cleared by licensing. If so, she should have some papers to show you that he has been fingerprinted and has had a background check.

Laurel