View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 09:56 AM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Last year we had an ice storm, and there was only a 3 yr. neighbor girl scheduled to come- she was supposed to be here at 8:00am, her Mom calls here around 10:00, snd said she is still coming- I told her"do you realize how icy it is out, it had been icing for about 2 1/2 hrs. now- she said yes, it is the same here, I said well no it's not, you have to get out of your van here in my driveway and out and walk up my sidewalk!! I had to go outside and ice all my driveway and sidewalk, just for her- I fell twice- hurt my neck and back- went to a Chiro over it!! Then the best part of it all, her Dad was laid off and sitting at home. After 3 hrs. of the power being off, and getting a bit chilly in here, I called him, and said"oh, you're at home" he hesitated to answer me at first- I thought duh I called your home phone!! I told him that I might not stay open much longer, because it is getting chilly in here, even with my FP going. It finally came back on 5 hrs. later- Needless to say she was here the entire time- I was so mad!!! I added this in my contract right away about power outages!!!
Wow, that's horrible. Dad at home and kid taken to daycare while icy out AND with the power out? Not good, especially when it's cold. Thank goodness for me that licensing takes care of that for me and we aren't able to keep kids here if the utilities are out for longer than 1 hour. That includes power, water or heat. This was a planned outage to replace power lines and I got the notice on Tuesday for Thursday so I told everyone on Wednesday morning that I'd have to be closed Thursday. Not too much notice I know but what can I do? And yep I already have it in my policies.