View Single Post
Missjaime 09:48 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
Dcm has asked me several times if I'm putting my child in preschool this year. She says it in a way like she's hinting around that she wants to take her kid out of my daycare and put him in preschool. I could be assuming, but she has asked me literally 10 times!

And I finally told her that I'm not putting my child in preschool and I'm going to keep teaching him here. (We can't afford preschool in our area and I don't feel like I need to send him to preschool if he is learning just fine here.)

When I told her that I wasn't putting my kid in preschool, she made a comment that her kid skips numbers when counting and that basically I need to be working with him more on his numbers. I teach them every single day! It's not my fault that he has a ZERO attention span and no matter how much I try to teach him, he acts like he could not care less!!! This kid drives me crazy anyways, so maybe I should just tell them to go elsewhere if they don't think I'm doing a good job....what should I do?
I have a family whose boy is just a little older than my youngest, DCM was always asking if I was going to send mine to preschool before kindergarten. I told her that I felt that he would spend enough time in a large group for the rest of his school life and that I think its important for him to have time in a small group to learn to develop good relationships and play skills. She felt she wanted to get her son ready for kindergarten. She now sends him 3 days a week to a large day care center and he still comes to me 2 days a week. It works for them, and is fine with me, as I am otherwise full. I would also tell her that it is very normal for a child to skip numbers as they are learning to count. For each child, these things come at different times. I have seen many children go through my old job (preschool teacher for a state program) who still leave at the end of the year not knowing many letters/numbers or anything. Other kids have no preschool and are perfectly ready for the rigors of current kindergarten (don't get me started on how inappropriate kindergarten has become!). If she wants more than you are providing, she should find that program. You run the program you feel is appropriate.
Good luck!