View Single Post
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by Daycare78:
Hello, I'm a parent new to daycare as well as to this site. (I hope this question is in the correct section so please let me know if I should have created the thread elsewhere!)

My question may seem naive/silly: why are there so many daycare waiting lists across the country? Why don't providers simply raise their rates until people who are willing to pay get in immediately and those who are not convinced it is worth the price go to a different location?

Other threads on this forum suggest that some caregivers are being generous or only raise rates on new customers (and even then by not as much as they probably could). Is there some other regulatory reason why rates aren't higher? Can a more experienced/knowledgeable person shed some light on this issue? The recent media attention on child care has been that child care is expensive but it seems that it could be even more expensive given the waiting list situation.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your input!
Your questions are bolded, my answers follow...

why are there so many daycare waiting lists across the country? Good, quality care is hard to find.

Why don't providers simply raise their rates until people who are willing to pay get in immediately and those who are not convinced it is worth the price go to a different location? Because the clients I have are enrolled are enrolled because they are a good fit NOT because they pay more or would be willing to pay more. Sadly some of the worst kids I've ever had in care had parents that would have paid ANY price I quoted if I'd continue caring for their child.

My time, self worth and sanity are worth MORE than agreeing to care of a child/family that isn't a good fit for me and my program

Is there some other regulatory reason why rates aren't higher? No there is no rule or regulation that dictate what I charge for rates but I certainly am not going to have an business if I charge a parent more than their budget can afford or more than they are being paid themselves.
Supply and demand play a huge role in rates but how much the community can sustain plays a bigger role.

Bottom line for me I do this job for the money but it's not all about the money.

I need to have families I am able to work with, kids that get along well and clients that I know care about all the other things that child care entails.... quality, program content, provider training/experience, location, etc....

I hope that helps answer your questions.