View Single Post
284878 04:30 PM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I hope all is okay

Does DCB cough or gag at lot? Does he have breathing problems like congestion or difficulty breathing? How often is he spitting up?

Sounds like GERD to me and many foods (not just dairy although it is the most common culprit) can cause reflux symptoms.

Also, I would watch for signs of silent reflux. Does he seem to burp and swallow after? Does his breath smell acidic?

It is also possible he is eating too fast or too much. Those can also cause GERD-like symptoms. Drinking too much fluid at once could also cause this.

I would mentioned GERD to mom (again.) If he has uncontrolled GERD the acid is going to eat away at his teeth and will lead to dental issues. LOTS of children with un-diagnosed/uncontrolled GERD end up with deep cavities on their molars from the acid.
I have never noticed any gagging. He coughs but not while eating, (he gets colds a lot). No breathing issues. Today he "spit up" twice, one day he spits up 3x while still eating. (I never really tracked it, just kinda got used to it.) Sometimes it is at the meal or at the end but like today I found it in there play space.

When I do catch him spitting up, I have never heard him swallow or burp after, I have heard him burp before. Today after his second spit up I could have sworn that I smelt vomit when I was cleaning him up.

"happy spitter" is exactly what the ped told DCM that dcb was, since never cries after spitting up.

I am required to serve milk but I plan on tracking his spit ups for a while and then reapproach dcm with data.
DCB second spit up was after crackers and yogurt.