View Single Post
Ariana 07:29 AM 07-18-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
This kind of reminds me of something that happened in a town close by a couple years ago.

The mom forgot to drop off her 4 month old son at daycare and went to work, leaving him in his seat the entire day. She left work at 6 and realized what she had done. He had already passed away, unfortunately.

It got me thinking, as daycare providers, should we communicate with parents when their child is a no-show?

Just a quick text "Hey, will so and so be at daycare today?"

In no way do I think a daycare is responsible for a parent's lack of communication! Just my first thought when I heard this story was if the daycare would've gotten ahold of her when she didn't show up (and if they were expecting the child that day), things probably would've ended differently.

Like I said, in NO WAY do I feel a daycare is ever responsible. It's just something that is in my mind if I have a child later than expected, should I text and see if they will be here today?

Such sad stories.
There is actually a lengthy thread where we discussed this very thing. Seemed to be split 50/50 and I can see both sides, especially not wanting that level of responsibility on top of everything else.

Personally if a family doesn’t show up I text but mostly its to know if they are coming or not because once I am outside I cannot hear the door so I instruct them to come to the gate etc.