View Single Post
daycarediva 09:58 AM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think the messages on this forum are absolutely terrible. Naps should not be mandatory. And if a parent doesn’t want their kids napping, then they shouldn’t nap. How judgmental to think any one of you know better than the parents or expect a parent to change the time their kid goes to bed. A childcare worker is supposed to care for a child and the family...by imposing what works better for you and not the child and family is very wrong.
What's terrible? OP said child obviously NEEDS a nap. She could be cited by licensing for withholding basic needs.

It's state mandated here. All children not enrolled in FT school/K or higher are required to have a rest period. They do not HAVE to sleep. If they do, they need it. If not, they don't and are given quiet activities.

Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Number one, as PP said, we are required by licensing to offer a child rest, and at least in my state, not wake them before the end of the specified nap period. Doing so is considered withholding sleep. Plus "rest" doesn't equal "sleep". A child will only fall asleep if they need to.

Two, most of these ladies aren't "childcare workers". They are business owners, and therefore do not work for parents. They provide a service and parents choose to either buy that service as-is or not.

Three, allowing parents to dictate every part of your business does not work. You have one parent who doesn't want their child to nap and you accommodate that. Do you also accommodate the parent who wants their child to be served 7 small meals a day? Or the one who sends their child school with an iPad so they can watch YouTube like at home?
I've actually gotten a few 'extra special' requests. Cut food up certain ways (not for an infant, for 4 year old's preference), youtube video for pottying, candy for 'cleaning plate at meals'. Nope. Sorrrrry.