Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Josiegirl 08:06 AM 05-25-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am offended that daycare providers are being forced into pretending to be teachers. Care providers are more valuable to a young childs development than a preschool "teacher" can ever be. Without that foundation, kids can't continue to grow and learn, they shut down. We do not have to be "teachers" to be an important part of these kids lives. Young children need caretakers and safe places to explore, not teachers.

I added a preschool curriculum because I was forced to by licensing. Kids get enough of that from age 5 on.... I wanted to provide care and a safe, fun place to spend the day full of healthy food, interesting toys and happy peers to learn from.

My step sisters and neices are teachers. They have masters degrees and earned the title teacher. Preschool is a made up concept that is entirely irrelevant by age 6. It has been proven so many times. What can't be replaced is good food, safety, a sense of belonging and mental health, the things that care provides. That is the foundation these kids need, not preschool.

Basic needs first, then school.
Just reading this now CH but you said everything I've always felt, so eloquently. You need to be a spokesperson somewhere!! If every provider told their state legislature this and had dcparents send the word along, maybe it'd be a way to change things. But then, there's the free preschool issue. Another sign of thinking of costs taking priority of what's best for kids.