View Single Post
Blackcat31 01:58 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I know exactly what you mean. I teach here and it most, not all, but most of my parents just want a safe place. I look at it like this. I am not going to change what I offer. I keep moving forward everyday. I know in my heart of hearts that these children are learning and I really dont care if their parents appreciate it or not. Some of my parents will go out of their way to tell me wow I am impressed, while others keep their kid out until midnight on a week night and then the kid sleeps all day long...
I teach becuase there is nothing better than seeing a child learn from your lessons....

If I were you, I would charge a monthly curriculum fee, even if it is only $5.00per family. This might make you feel a little better too...???
That is a good idea, but I am really just trying to either be a family childcare provider or a preschool teacher that does not deal with anything but the preschool age.
As a FCC provider, I am just feeling as though for the little money we earn/are paid it is not worth all the effort we put into all these fancy curriculums and scheduled routines.

I am looking to focus more on the other thing you mentioned.....the wonderful feeling we get when a child learns something that was not pre-planned but simply learned through regular daily interaction with playmates and friends. Every activity is a "teachable moment" it just doesn't always have to come from elaborate pre-packaged curriculums that we devote hours and hours of time and money investing in....