View Single Post
daycare 08:56 AM 10-21-2013
Over the last month I have had several kids come down with colds, flus, ear infections, bronchitis, and seasonal allergies. ALL of my dck age range from 17 months to 4.5 years.

I have in my policies that if a parent gives medication to their child at least 4 hours before arriving to childcare, that I need to be informed. It also says that if they give their children medication that is not intended for their child to use, that I can deny care for that day should I chose to do so.

Lately some of the parents are not telling me anything at drop off. However, later I can see that their child is not well and I am sending them home. When the parents come to pick up their sick kid, we talk and they tell me oh yeah I gave my 20 month old Benadryl. WTH it should be not be given if under 4 years old.

So now I am trying to figure out a way that I can have some control on this. I know that I will never stop it, I know that parents will lie to me.

I thought about creating a medication log which will require the parents to sign, stating what was given, the amounts, reason and time. I do feel that most parents will lie, but I need to do something to cover my butt.

If something happens to one of these kids while they are here because their parent decided to give them some medication, then I am the one who will pay the ultimate price.

Does anyone have a medication log or some sort of system that you use so that you can monitor these types of situations.

Thanks