View Single Post
TheGoodLife 12:36 PM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
So, I just got off the phone with out local sheriff's office and feel a little defeated. She told me there wasn't anything they could do unless they pulled her over and the child was unrestrained. If mom is pulled over and DCK is unrestrained the sheriff said she could be charged with child endangerment.

She recommended I get the make/model and license plate of her vehicle and when she leaves, call the non emergency number and they will try to pull her over.

So here is what I was thinking. When mom picks up today I am going talk to her about car seat safety, etc and email her (for a paper trail) some info on free car seats or very cheap ones in our area. Then I figured I would explain the mandated reporter laws to her, explain that I was required by law to call the sheriffs office and explain what they told me. I will then tell her she NEEDS to have a car seat by tomorrow (I will be checking) or I will be calling the sheriffs office when she leaves on this situation. If that doesn't help (and she still keeps her kid here...) then I will call CPS on her because at that point she was given resources to help and if she did not utilize those resources then I would consider that abuse or at the very least neglect.

I also figured I would type all of this out in writing and have her sign it before she leaves and record the conversation. That way we both have a paper trail of the situation.

My biggest goal here is to help mom get this child properly restrained.

What do you think?
That sounds great to me! Hopefully the DCM will get things figured out before she picks up, but it sounds like she may not. I pray the DCG is safe and a suitable car seat is found quickly!