View Single Post
CraftyMom 06:08 AM 09-25-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

DCK DOES have a car seat and the seat belts in mom's car are not broken (mom was confusing the car seat harness with her car's actual seat belt). However, here is what happens: DCK doesn't like being in the car seat. She un-clips the chest clip on her car seat, undoes the crotch buckle and then climbs into the front seat. Because mom doesn't want to fight with DCK she just let's her sit up front in an adult seat belt so DCK doesn't scream and because "she won't listen to mom."
Some car seat clips are easier to unbuckle than others. Maybe it's time for a new car seat. Mom can test them out in the store and choose one that dcg has difficulty unbuckling. Mom has no excuse...she unbuckles it, so I let her just so I don't have to argue with her. Really?? She's 3. What is she going to get away with at 13 to avoid arguing??

My son went through a phase where he managed to wiggle himself free. I would stop the car and tell him we are not moving until you are properly buckled. I had to be VERY firm with him.

The trouble is parents don't want to be firm, they want to be the good guy. That and it's just easier to give in