View Single Post
Unregistered 10:31 PM 06-01-2009
This is about BREASTFEEDING , not just walking in to "hang out" As a firm believer in breastfeeding , this is the best thing any mother could give. YOu should nkwo you can't expect a baby to be on a strict feeding schedule. I do know babies can be put on feeding schedules, but a nursing baby is already going to be on a less strict schedule to begin with. Whats more important a schedule,or the baby getting the best thing ? I came on this site because I have been thinknig about becoming a child care provider.
As a former nursing mother, I had both a horrible experience, as well as a wonderful experince nursing in daycares. I had my older child in a daycare's after school program. He was in 1st grade. My baby was in a home daycare. After picking up my baby I would sit and nurse him for maybe 5minutes,not more than 10 ,while i waited for my older son to get his stuff and say goodbye to his friends,etc... Another parent complained (I was covered by the way) because they felt their child shouldn't be exposed to seeing a baby being breastfed and they disdn't want their child knowing about it until 'the right time" This is what I was todl by the owner of this daycare center. I was angry because this is not sex,it is a fact of life something god gave us to use to nurish our baby. If i were sitting down at the MALL or anywhere ELSE, and this parent had her child ,well I guess her child would stil l have been exposed to it.
They demanded I use their restroom or not do it at all and threatend to kick my older son out if I didn't comply. My state law says I had a right to breatsfeed where ever I and my baby was legally allowed(so this applied). I didn't have the guts to get a lawyer and sue their butts off ,so when I refused and told them politely about my rights and no thank you I will NOT use a dirty bathroom,the chair in the after school room was worknig jsut fine,thank you... they refused to take my older child. So I didn't pay them for that week.

The home daycare I had my baby (younger son) in allowed for me to nurse hgim for those 10minutes(it was a great stress reliever for my baby) before leaving for home. it not only helped him relieve stress,but I was pretty engorged by then because my job didn't allow much time for pumping,and although I got my body used to producing milk only when he nursed,they still got full by that time of the day. She stil lencourages breastfeeding.She nursed her own baby in front of her own daycare kids. I now work for her myself(which has inspired me to want my own daycare) and she will take fully pumped milk in bottles AND?OR let the mothers nurse as well. I think it's awsome she fully supports it and whenever I take children in my own home I wilL support it 100%.
As a nursing mom, know your rights, ecause if this daycare provider is violating your rights I suggest you get her in trouble. Don't let her get away with it,like i did with that other center. I agree, find someone else. She seems to care more about herself then the welfare of a child. Children need their mommys milk daycare or not. how sad for people to be like that,all because of whatever personal hang ups they have about breastfeeding. oh by the way, the reason why I didn't just nurse him in the home daycare first, before getting my older son from the other one was because the home daycare closed before the other one did. I did not want to impose on her. Whenever I got off earlier, however, I did nurse him there, because I was more comfortable there. I couldn't use her for after school care,because she was not in the same schol district,and had no way of getting him from his school. So unfortunatley I had to use different providers. That happend too,when I had my 3rd baby. My odlest was in school, my middle one was still with her,but when I had my 3rd she had no openings for infants,and I had to find alternate care. Funny thing is I was never satisfied with anyt center,and if I ever have a 4th (which I don't plan to) he/she wil lgo to her and I will find a way. Even if I plan months in advance to save a spot.