View Single Post
kendallina 03:52 PM 08-29-2011
This is how I do my preschool curriculum. Keep in mind that I run a 3-hr a day program so I don't need to fill an entire day.

I choose a topic of study based on what the children are interested in and then for that topic I try to think of goals that I want the kiddos to get out of it. For example this week (first week of preschool, so I'm not really going off interests) we're studying families. My first goal was (these are mostly older 3 year olds) to make sure that they knew their last name and their parents names. They all recognize their own name in writing and all of their friends names (they've all been in summer camp with me) so I'd like to move them toward recognizing their last names, their parents and siblings names as well as writing their names for those that are ready.

The other goal that I have for this week is to talk about how families help each other, which is a carryover from a lot of discussion we've had in the summer camp about helping each other and working together as a team.

So, with those goals in mind I plan activities for several parts of our day:

Morning meeting
Small group
Circle

The morning meeting is a time where we sit in a circle and plan out our day, talk about the topic of study and maybe do some charting or reading about our topic or play a game that helps us learn our topic. When we keep a calendar, we do that at this time as well (we only do 'calendar' when it makes sense to do it...when we're studying weather or like now, when the students are trying to figure out what days of the week which kids come).

Small group is when we do an activity at the table, generally art, often messy art. It's usually, but not always related to our theme.

Circle time is when we sing songs, play games, etc. Probably very similar to what others do.

We also have free play both inside and outside and a storytime at the end of the day.

So, that's how I do it, hope that helps!