View Single Post
Unregistered 02:43 PM 09-29-2012
I think the biggest problem is that many parents forget that their kids need to be tought social skills, such as manners, and rely on teachers (or DCP's in this case) to teach them. Maybe you can try social skill (a nice way of saying "manners") activities with all of the kids and take this as a learning oppertunity.

* in groups of two, one of the lessions can be about listening to others by having each child have a few minutes to talk about their favorite thing (toy, pet, mom, dad etc.) But the other child has to listen they have to listen and not respond until the person's time is up (about 60-90 seconds) then they can talk about their favorit things. this will teach them how to wait until someone is finished talking; or if you think they are old enough have the child with this repitition phase sit and listen to two kids while they ask and answer each other's questions (or you ask another child questions) and tell him the point is for him to sit there and listen but not to give any feedback; he is only listening not participating in the conversation.
* you can also try teaching kids how to ask questions and how to only respond if the question or comment is directed at them by saying "what is your favorite color Amy" or "I would like (add "only" if needed) Billy to tell me what his favorite food is" so that way they know it is only for that child to answer.
* You can also teach them about simple manners such as "always ask to be excused before leaving the table" and sneak in "its impolite to interupt adults when their talking (unless its an emergency)" {may need to explain what interupting is}and "It's impolite to repeat what other people say or join in a private conversation unless asked to do so"

Or if you haven't already just get down to his level and in a calm voice tell him:
*"I know that you are really smart and like to help your friends by repeating their questions for me and then repeating back to them as I answer them; but I can hear them fine the 1st time and it may make them feel bad because they may think that I am answering your question not theirs because you asked the question last"
*"I know you are smart and your friends are smart too; when they asked me a question for a reason, if they wanted you to ask me a question they would ask you to before they asked me and I bet it hurts their feelings that you are stopping the answer they are trying to find out quickly just to repeat it when I am about to answer them"
*"I know you are trying to be helpful but everytime you repeat a question another kid wants to know it takes them twice as long to find out because you are stopping me from answering by repeating what they asked and what I already heard"
* ask any children (or your own) to tell this child that they do not like it when they repeat their question and repeat the answer and it hurts their feelings (it may help if you ask a the other children when DCB isn't around "Do you like it when/does it hurt your feelings when DCB..." so its legit)
* even before he restates it by using hand motions such as a "stop!" hand sign and saying "DCB, I can hear them just fine and only I will answer them" and if he disobey's give him 1 warning that it is his only warning and that if he does it again he will get a time out for not listening.