View Single Post
Meeko 12:10 PM 07-02-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
LOL! You'd *expect* dinner.. You'd be luck that the only thing you got is a $65 late fee instead of being terminated or finding your child was with social services. She was AN HOUR late...clearly not in an accident.

It is easy to say you would be understanding and kind when you are not the daycare provider. The OP didn't just go on with her night, she had plans that had to be canceled. We have ALL had this experience at least once.

Personally, I missed my sons conferences because a parent showed up 45 minutes late...among many, many other things My favorite is this:

A daycare parent called me AT PICK UP TIME from a restaurant 45 minutes away and said, you don't mind if we're late do you? It's our anniversary so we thought we'd go out to dinner.

Agh, yeah...I mind...I had plans that I won't make now. Parents don't understand that it isn't simply the time that *they* were late or rude, it is that there are several parents in care and when you add up all the lates it gets to be ALOT.
Been there. done that Jen.

I once missed my daughter singing a solo in a school concert because even though I posted a notice on the door to PLEASE pick up on time as I had an important appointment......one mom decided to call me at 5 minutes past closing to say she was still getting her nails done.......I told her to get over to my house and get her kids as I had to go. She got angry and refused and I missed my daughters concert. The mother thought I was being rude to terminate her contract. My daughter was heartbroken I didn't show up.

I wish I could say those kinds of things are rare. Sadly they are not. And THATS why we come here and vent! Because other providers can relate!