View Single Post
e.j. 04:15 PM 01-09-2020
It has happened to me a few times and what I usually do is verbally walk the kid through what happened in front of the parent, asking questions, making him explain to the parent what really happened. So if a kid claims I yelled at him, I'll say something like, ""What?! Hold on a minute now. First of all, lets tell mom what you did today that made me unhappy with your behavior." The kid usually looks embarrassed and confesses. Then, "Exactly; you were trying to get into an area you know you're not allowed to be in. When I told you not to go in there, what did you do?" "Right. You ignored me and went in anyway." "Now...what did I say to you when you did that?" "That's correct; I told you to come out of there right now because.....well, were you supposed to be in there? "Right. You weren't." "Did I yell at you or did I just tell you to come out of there?" "Ah! I told you to come out. That's how I remember it, too. Thanks for explaining that to Mom so she can understand what happened today."

So far, this approach has worked well for me. The kids know what really happened and when prompted, give a pretty accurate version of what really happened.