Thread: Ground Beef....
View Single Post
daycarediva 09:08 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I serve all types of foods including red meats, fish, pork, etc. but I also have an active program with hours of vigorous gross motor play each day so I would not adhere to this request. I do not serve processed foods or "empty calories" which I believe is a huge factor in child nutrition issues. Coupled with my active program we actually see healthier bodies once children are enrolled in care for several months.
We all know The answer to obesity is not "cut out chocolate milk and ground beef"
The answer is
"Lifestyle change."
Increased activity, real foods, less screen times, involved parental attention, and letting kids PLAY and explore are the real answers to the hard questions.
But it's not easy. Easy is "no red meat at daycare and blame school lunches for obesity.
No one blames the drive through meals 8 times a week w parents and fruit snacks and bug juice on the weekends. ((Sorry. I'm bitter I know. Lol))
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I agree!! I serve tables at night and you don't know how many times I roll my eyes at Parents!
"Mom I want sprite!"
"No honey. It has too much sugar and is not healthy. He will have a chocolate milk and the kids mac n cheese with French fries."
(Yes, this was actually said to me!)
THIS!

Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm not of the belief that red meat or fatty meats cause obesity. I believe processed foods, corn and it's derivatives and sugar cause them.

I serve a variety of foods, not any are processed. If a dcf showed up with a note, I would first ask them to record everything they fed their child at home.
and whole milk, not skim is proven to have a healthy affect on weight.

I eat all full fat dairy. Just IN proper portion sizes. Little/no sugar. Remember low fat diets as trending? zero carb? etc. Eat a moderate diet, exercise, and you should be fine.

for a child though, this is SO sad to me. I have one who is borderline obese in care right now. Her mom is morbidly obese. She eats everything in front of her equally, but I feed her in portion sizes for grains and fruit, and allow unlimited veggies. She literally fills up on veggies and drinks a TON of water. At home? carb snacks and juice-sugar and empty calories. When grandma discussed it with me, I told her what I did. She said that felt like punishment. WHAT!? I sat there dumbfounded and said "Wow, I didn't know a healthy diet, with organic fresh veggies, water, and outside activity was punishment. Sounds like a regular day here."

MOM, however, is on board.

This parent would get my menu with suggestions/corrections on the doctor form at the bottom- NO soda, NO juice, NO empty carb calories (crackers, cookies, chips, goldfish, cereals), LOTS of water, LOTS of fresh veggies and fruit, and LOTS of outside play. Barring a medical issue- it WILL resolve if they're consistent.