View Single Post
Cat Herder 07:22 AM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by racemom:
If I have to text 15 minutes ahead of time to see the area, that tells me she is hiding something.
Unless she has to secure the infants in cribs away from the toddlers. Secure the toddlers away from the preschoolers. Secure the preschoolers away from the stairs and art supplies. Go upstairs. Secure her dogs and unlock the door.

I agree with you in that if she had two full-time assistants, my point is moot. Although, none of that information was in the OP and we only have half of the story.

I work alone and have to leave my group unsupervised or move a mixed aged group of 6 through my family living space, 4 rooms, to answer the door. 3 non-mobile. My playroom is separate from my living space with easy access to the backyard and playground.

I don't require a text because I installed cameras and a driveway alarm that gives me sufficient time to free myself up to deal with an unexpected adult. Unless we are in the middle of painting/gluing or sand/water tables, then they will just stand outside watching us through the window until we are finished. Kids first. The State people even sit in their car and wait patiently in that case.

I am already surprise inspected by people trained to know what to look for every 10-12 weeks, up to four hours per visit for health and safety. Sometimes more. I am surprise observed by the State for minimum 4 hours a year to rate curriculum, engagement and interactions.

I have no problem with a parent randomly showing up, wanting to come in, do a quick look around and a head count. It is their right. But, I expect they take their kid with them when they leave. If it becomes a constant disruptive thing, I will replace them. That is my right. In reality, all of that can be done much easier during playground time, which is posted, and much less disruptive for the provider. Why don't more parents make use of that? Because it is uncomfortable and dirty?

If they are that suspicious or untrusting, they need to put their child in an environment with cameras they can view all day or glass-walled centers with many adults in and out all day. For their own emotional needs. Either family-based care is for you or it's not. It was never intended to be an institution. Common sense needs to be applied.

Not all parents want their kid around other adults after they drop them with their chosen provider. They have privacy rights, too. I work with a lot of public safety, they don't want people knowing where their kids are. None mind quick visits and head counts. It is the long visits where their kid becomes "acquainted" with other adults they don't want.