View Single Post
daycare 12:14 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For me personally it was not really understanding that I had a say in who enrolled or didn't enroll. I took anyone interested, even if I didn't think they were a good fit. If I had an open space, and someone was interested, I let them have it. I didn't really realize that I actually had a say in that.

I now know that I am interviewing a family just as much, if not more, than they are interviewing me.

I CAN pick and choose who is or isn't a good fit for my program. I also now realize that I can let families go and do it in a professional manner.

I know now that I can run a business and still have personal feelings, opinions and thoughts and not let them interfear in my business.

I know EXACTLY how to draw the line between work and home and how to not let the line between the two get blurry. (At least I know how to do that for me.)
This was me too... I thought that I had to take everyone who wanted in. I changed my hours for people, my rules and basically did whatever anyone wanted me to do so that they would come and stay.

I never enforced my own rules. Growing a backbone has taken me a very long time and I am barley getting good at it.

I used to think that I was employed by the parents, as this is how they treated me. I thought well they pay me so I have to do as they say.

After a year, I was very unhappy. BUT I went on like that for years. That was until I found this site and learned HOW to run my business by getting advice from all of the fine ladies and gents on here.

One of the other things that I had against me was that I am from a country that not too many Americans understand and accept. So my race played an issue at times.

the last thing that was hard for me was when I moved up state. NO one knew me at all, BUT some how I found a great first client who happened to know everyone and word of mouth is what started me off....