View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 01:05 PM 08-13-2018
I was in a training for ADA and I was told that I could not ask during an interview (before they became a client) if their child had a disability ... and if I did that the parent was legally not required to answer. Also that once they became a client I still could not ask them about any disabilities or medical conditions ... that I could only ask if there were any special needs or modifications that their child required (sort of like only being able to ask if a service dog is required because of a disability and what work or task has the dog been trained to perform but not being able to ask specifically what disability the person has).

I was told that I could encourage a family to share medical information with me if they wanted to if I was doing so in order to provide better care for their child but that they could refuse to share the info and I could not specifically use the denial to refuse to sign them up or to terminate care.

LOTS of parents with special needs DON'T share their children's conditions BECAUSE lots of providers refuse to sign them up just because of their condition. In other words, they have no choice ... otherwise, they would be discriminated against.

It reminds me of the daycare providers that don't outright tell their landlords that they will be providing daycare services in the rental home because many landlords outright will deny renting to them only because they do not want to rent to someone doing daycare. They don't notify the landlords until after they have signed the leasing contract so that they won't be discriminated against. (I'm speaking of states like CA where family daycare is a protected class and has special protection like not being able to be denied to run a family childcare home from a rented home/apartment but landlords discriminate anyway. I know in some states there is no protection for FFC providers).

It might "sound shady" but when people are discriminated against they're basically left with no other choice.