View Single Post
Meeko 06:54 AM 05-07-2019
If you ever get written up on something you disagree with...FIGHT.

I've been a provider for almost 35 years now. I always prided myself on perfect inspections every time.

About 15 years ago, I had a visit from a licenser who was well known for being difficult. Back then, they would do an inspection and then send out a letter saying what violations you had.
I KNEW I was in perfect compliance, but here came a letter with seven violations listed. I was livid.

She had seen one of my sons (who wasn't part of the daycare and had an outside job) greet one of the kids as he passed him. He ruffled his hair and said "Hi buddy!"

She wrote that my son was working in the daycare and had no training records etc. He wasn't a worker...had all the right background checks etc as he lived here. I guess she thought talking to a child made him a worker.

Utah law states at least one provider must have CPR/First Aid. My husband (my helper) had been very ill and his certificate had run out. But no problem as I had mine. She told be "at least one" means two have to be currently certified.

The list went on with ridiculous "violations".

I called her and she would not listen. Told me she had already turned in the report and it couldn't be changed.

So I wrote to Salt Lake City HQ.

They repealed each and every one of the findings and told me the licensor would be receiving "training".

It wasn't as simple as it sounds and ended up with Utah changing the way they do inspections now. There is now a very clear checklist. Licensers can only go by the checklist and can have NO personal input. All real violations have to be discussed the moment they are found or at the end of the inspection.

Inspections are now very fair and actually, if a provider gets written up, they deserve it. The regs are clear as day and as long as you are doing what the checklist says, you can't go wrong.
I still don't agree with every reg (and nor does my licenser, who is the head licenser for this area) but it's nothing huge. We roll our eyes and move on.

But fight if you disagree with a finding. I was able to help change the way the the state did inspections because I refused to back down.