View Single Post
grateday 09:41 AM 01-22-2016
This is a great thread. I especially liked the part about the licensor saying providers should have a weather related policy in place, I like the person that stated that when you are on your own it is almost impossible to keep the driveways safe, accessible while maintaining the safety of the children (so true). Also the provider who made the comment about extending hours so parents can try to get unstuck from weather related situations.

The comment about the president discussing the horrible financial situation that some providers are in is relevant. Some are really good at managing the business end of things and some could use some work, or are in a poor area.

As a former provider who went back to work and listened to the stories of single mothers. It is and can be a sad situation for them. I talked to some of those mothers and discussed some of the programs that are available to them to help them out financially and they were very thankful for the information. They did not know that the programs existed. Even with the state assistance single parents are still paying what they believe is too much for childcare. I don't really know the budgets that these single parents are trying to live on but I can tell you that providers need to earn a living and be able to pay for the expenses of running a childcare and their own living expenses. This is an issue. Parents with multiple younger children also have financial issues paying for childcare as well. Providers who give too many breaks have financial issues as well.

Providers need to be able to have money to cover extra unseen expenses that happen in childcares as well. Broken items, damaged items, bedbugs, headlice, replacement flooring, repairing damaged walls, etc.