View Single Post
daycarediva 09:20 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
Over the last month I have had several kids come down with colds, flus, ear infections, bronchitis, and seasonal allergies. ALL of my dck age range from 17 months to 4.5 years.

I have in my policies that if a parent gives medication to their child at least 4 hours before arriving to childcare, that I need to be informed. It also says that if they give their children medication that is not intended for their child to use, that I can deny care for that day should I chose to do so.

Lately some of the parents are not telling me anything at drop off. However, later I can see that their child is not well and I am sending them home. When the parents come to pick up their sick kid, we talk and they tell me oh yeah I gave my 20 month old Benadryl. WTH it should be not be given if under 4 years old.

So now I am trying to figure out a way that I can have some control on this. I know that I will never stop it, I know that parents will lie to me.

I thought about creating a medication log which will require the parents to sign, stating what was given, the amounts, reason and time. I do feel that most parents will lie, but I need to do something to cover my butt.

If something happens to one of these kids while they are here because their parent decided to give them some medication, then I am the one who will pay the ultimate price.

Does anyone have a medication log or some sort of system that you use so that you can monitor these types of situations.

Thanks
I have a medication log for each child that parents write in the name of the medication, dose, time administered and reason for doing so. They also have to sign and date it. Most often I DO believe they lie to me, to sneak a sick kid into daycare, but I DO have parents tell me "Gave him/her Tylenol this morning for teething, where's the form?" or "Joey was put on *********** for that ear infection. I gave it to him at 7." and I pull out the form. I keep it in their file, right next to the OTC log that the state requires I keep for topical things (like sunscreen and diaper cream)