View Single Post
QualiTcare 10:59 PM 08-25-2010
as a parent and a former provider, i don't see the big deal about breakfast cutoff times - unless you're on a food program that says you can't serve past a certain time. even then, they could bring their own food.

8:00 is really not that late for someone that has to get up, get ready, get a child or children ready - and drive for who knows how long to get to daycare. i know my kids don't like to eat right after they wake up. they were waking up at 5:30am for a long time - and they didn't want to eat - they were barely awake. i thought it was stupid that they had to either eat by 8 or starve.

my son is in preschool now and on his first day, i tried to feed him before he went and he wouldn't eat. they don't have lunch until 11! i was happy to find out that they serve breakfast and they let them eat regardless of the time. we're talking about BABIES who are hungry! i couldn't imagine a baby or child being hungry and being like, "oh, well, it's 8:00 - sorry!"

kids can't help it if their parents are too lazy to feed them breakfast, but that's not always the case - like with my kids. i'd try to make them eat, but they weren't ready. unlike adults, kids eat only when they're hungry. if a child is hungry, you feed them - that's my rule.

i always let parents bring food for their kids if they wanted to also. a lot of people don't do that either. who cares if one kid has an apple and the other has a chocolate pop tart. life isn't fair. starting in kindergarten, kids can pack their lunch and they're not going to have the same food. IMO, we're not doing them any favors by making them all have the same food.

my kids went to a daycare that had an 8:00 cutoff and no outside food was allowed. they also went to a daycare where they could bring their own breakfast, lunch, and snack if we chose to (but food was provided if we didn't) and i liked being able to pack their food much better. if i was running late, i could send them into daycare at 8:05 with a biscuit. you shouldn't have to choose between getting in trouble at work or your kid starving. of course, that's just my opinion.