View Single Post
AmyKidsCo 11:54 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
So true, I didn't really think of it that way. I too don't have a problem with unlicensed providers if it is legal!
I do, for two main reasons. The first is that Jane Doe up the street doing unregulated care only takes cash payment so she doesn't have to pay taxes on it. Sure the parents can't claim it on their taxes, but she's charging so much less than average that they don't mind. Meanwhile I'm paying taxes at a rate that would probably be lower if all the Jane Does were paying their fair share.

The other reason is that around here there's no distinction made between regulated family child care and unregulated child care. So when Jane Doe puts an infant sleep to sleep on her stomach on the couch and the infant dies of SIDS the media just reports that she was a "family child care provider" which instantly makes parents question the quality of care I provide.

IMO the best way to raise the overall quality of child care and provide a minimal level of safety is to require regulation for everyone. I'm not saying that all unregulated providers are bad - I know many people here are unregulated and do a great job - but with regulation it would be easier to weed out the bad ones.

Just my 2c.