View Single Post
racemom 06:57 PM 10-23-2015
The first thing to do is recognize why she bites and try to intervene when you see the issue starting. At 3 I feel she is old enought to understand it is wrong. I work with 1 and 2 year olds and what I do with them is explain to her if she bites her friends, she will..and then tell her the consequence. Sometimes you have to up the currency until you find what works. But be consistent, and if you see her starting to try to bite, sharply say her name to stop her and then remind her if we bite our friends, you will have to sit out or whatever the punishment. Also tell her biting hurts her friends and she cannot hurt friends, if she bites someone and leaves a mark show it to her while saying look, you hurt susie. Also, make sure victim gets all the attention, not the biter. Sometimes it is for attention even if it is negative attention
I have 2 in my current class who have gone thru this stage, and one will still bite when I am gone and have a sub. She is 19 months old, and is very aware that it is not allowed, so she tests the subs to see what they will do.