View Single Post
nannyde 01:41 PM 02-01-2011
I don't do discounts for four days a week. I do a minimum of three days a week and I charge 25 percent of my weekly fee per day. So if I charged 100 dollars a week it would be 25 dollars a day times four days would equal 100 dollars. If the child was here three days a week it would be 75 dollars.

My policy with nebulizers: We do not give nebulizer or breathing treatments. Please do not ask if we will do this. If your child requires treatments they can not attend the day care until their condition allows them to be in care without the need of the treatments. We also do not allow parents to give breathing treatments in our home. We will accept a child after receiving a treatment. Please let us know if you have given your child a nebulizer treatment before care.

I had a terrible time with the nebulizer treatments a few years ago. It was when they pulled all the kids cold medicine off of the shelves and stopped giving antibiotics for colds. The only thing "left" for the docs to prescribe is nebs so I ended up with a bunch of kids in my house who had them. They also give them 40-50 jets in each prescription so I had parents wanting to use them for colds months after they were originally seen.

They would be ordered every four to six hours and I would have parents coming in at eight in the morning telling me they had one at four a.m. so they needed one right away. They would all say the same thing: I couldn't give it any earlier... so he needs it now. If the kid was here nine hours I could end up doing as many as three a day per KID.

The day my staff assistant and I did TWENTY of them in one day I said ENOUGH. Because I'm a RN I had more liability with assessment and documentation then the average provider does. It was consuming so much of my time that I couldn't do it anymore. I started to charge a "medication administration fee" of twelve dollars per treatment. That stoped it cold. Eventually I morphed into a policy where I just don't do them. I had too many issues with parents not wanting to pay the fee and wanting to come here to do it so I had to put a stop to that.

The funny thing is now that I don't offer them ... I no longer have kids in my day care that "need" them during the day. I had too many issues of parents bringing sick kids in and calling it asthma or reactive airway disease. Once I put a stop to the free they keep their kids home when they have colds.

If you are going to do it CHARGE for it. Make it steep. If the child is special needs then you need to be funded for him as a special needs kid. Medication administration fee AND a daily fee for special care.