View Single Post
Blackcat31 10:48 AM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Here we are a family childcare home,

Ive always done it this way. I invite my families camping, we have BBQ's, we are a big extended family.

Ive only been a provider for 21 years, Ive only been online since 91, and only been on message boards since 93. I offer advice, ideas and encouragement. I think Nannyde and I are complete opposites. Both seem to have very established businesses, I am also full at all times, and charge premium for my area. I am a very relaxed, social person who opens up my home, heart and family to the children we care for. It works for me. I just couldnt imagine being so black and white about it. to each their own.
hats off to you too laundrymom!! I also think it is a matter of what each family is looking for in a provider and how each provider wishes to run their business. We all started in this field for many reasons but I am one who believes that a family childcare provider is just that...FAMILY. How Nannyde runs her business works for her and the people she serves and I see nothing wrong with that, but I do think that as a parent AND a provider, that keeping family and work separate is odd for a family childcare provider. I mean ABSOLUTELY no disrespect, but that is my opinion. If I did not want the family part of the business, I would be licensed as a center. I also agree with you laundrymom about the importance of family interaction and the benefits of lasting relationships. Head Start and many early childhood programs do encourage that type of interaction within their centers. It just seems to me that for a family with young children, family childcare would be the first place to begin the process of social networking, support from peers (other parents) and friendship since their children are friends and play together every day.
Another reason I began doing childcare was so that my own children could have other kids to play with since I only had two of my own. I came from a large family who also had foster kids in our home and growing up with lots of siblings/playmates was awesome, and I didn't want my kids to miss out on that type of experience because we only had the two. Childcare was an easy way to have a lot of playmates and make money as well.