View Single Post
momofboys 06:37 AM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by Solandia:
To be completely honest...if an injury looks like it "only needs a stitch or two", I wouldn't be taking my kid to the ER for it. MAYBE on the face. Maybe. The hand...it isn't worth the $1500 for maybe 2 stitches. 5+, yeah, ok...possibly

I JUST took my own 3yo to the ER 2 nights ago for a scratch on the ear that spilt open(no cartilage, only superficial). 24hrs later the dermabond is picked off, and it is "gaping" again. It is going to heal regardless...the doc can't put stitches there anyway...and it is about $2K down the toilet. My 2yo split open his chin a 1/2inch last summer just walking & tripped....the dermabond worked like a charm, and barely a scar. BUT...it wasn't super serious, and a butterfly bandage would have worked ok, too. I don't think I would take him in again, if it happens another time. A more serious laceration...of course, but really wasn't necessary & would likely scar regardless if he does it again. Which is likely. I would be in the ER once/mo for injuries that only need one stitch. If I had free healthcare, yes....why not. But I do not.
That's fair - and understandable. I am lucky that we have great insurance - the only caveat is we can't go to the ER for such things - because if we did for something "minor" like stitches, unless it was life-threatening, we would be out for the whole visit - our insurance would make us meet our deductible which we normally don't do (dr visits/urgent care is exempt from our deductible). Whenever we need stitches (& with 3 boys it has happened a time or two or three lol) we go to Urgent Care & we end up paying a small amount (usually less than $20). Can I ask why you chose the ER-why not a cheaper resource or do you not have urgent cares near your home, we have to travel 20-25 min to get to one & a hospital is one block from our home but there is no way I will go to the ER unless it is a true emergency (life or death).