View Single Post
CraftyMom 01:51 PM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
Accidents happen...my enviorment is set up so it discourages running but of course doesn't complelty stop it from happening. I'm all for logical consequences, you run where you know you're not supposed to? You may get hurt. Hopefully this will be a good learning experience for him!

I agree with both sides. Yes, we have to be vigilant and be sure our set up is appropriate and safe. But there are just some kids that if you are not constantly on top of them they are constantly running, climbing, throwing, etc. no matter how your daycare is set up. In these cases, at least for me, the parents would be aware and if it were a case where I felt the child would hurt himself or someone else with their behavior then I would have to let him go. I can not watch one child all day long and still carry out my day. Nor do I want to.

That being said I do also believe in logical consequences to a degree. I would never want a child to get hurt on purpose, but sometimes they have to see for themselves before they get it (for something minor of course)

Running in the house for some reason drives me up a wall! My dcks are reminded frequently to use walking feet, even if they aren't running to begin with. For example If I call them over to do a puzzle "Come on over and we'll do this puzzle together. Walking feet only". If they run they have to go back and do it again walking.

Right now I have one dcb that is here only 3 days/week. The only time he goes outside is when he is with me. He has so much pent up energy, he just wants to run. So when he is here we start out by putting music on and getting the wiggles out. It helps a bit, but I definitely have to remind him often of our walking rule.