View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 19 month old who has never been a good napper. I have had him since 3 months old. As a baby, he napped no more than 20-30 minutes twice a day. We dropped the morning nap about 6 months ago hoping for one good nap. He slowly started taking longer naps, but inconsistently. One day would be 2 hours, the next day 30 minutes. He has been very inconsistent ever since we switched to one nap. The last couple of weeks now, he has gone back to 30 minute naps. I always leave him in his pack n play for the full two hours, hoping that he recognizes that I don't come get him just because he is awake. That doesn't seem to matter.
DCM has always said he sleeps very well at night (12-13 hours!). She has said that he has been sleeping like this at night since he was a young infant. They put him to bed between 6-7pm and he sleeps until 6-7am every night. I do believe that he sleeps this much at night because they have the same issues with napping on the weekends. I have to believe that him sleeping so long at night is the reason he has never been a good napper.
Parents were on vacation last week and left him with grandparents. She said grandparents weren't putting him to bed until 8pm, so when they got home, he was really tired and he was sleeping up to 14 hour nights!
I have never had a child who slept so much overnight, that it affected naps to this degree.
Anyone had this young of a child outgrow naps, and if so, how did you deal with it?
I've had a child that stopped napping around 15 months but he was my own so I dealt with it as his parent.

As a provider I do not provide services to children that do not participate in afternoon rest time.

If this child could lay quietly and rest with out disturbing others I'd be fine with it but if his actions caused disruption to others, I'd have to have parents find alternate child care.

Kids that don't rest quietly simply do not fit into my program.