View Single Post
JLH 06:53 PM 03-11-2013
Good for you for letting her go! I love stories like this! They are so inspiring for those of us who have a hard time telling our daycare parents no.

I have had a situation going on just like that that came to a head today as well.

Mom asked me to open at 5:30 for a couple of days while she got trained into a new dept. at work. I said okay if just for a couple of days. The next week it was a few days. Then it changed to 5am drop-off. Then she showed up last Monday at 4:45am. My hubby went out in his pajama pants to take the garbage out and there she was on the doorstep. I was still in bed asleep and not happy when he woke me. When she came to pick up I asked her if it would be an early drop-off every day this week. She said yes, she had told her work to make her schedule that permanently. I couldn't believe it! I never agreed to that as a permanent schedule and she never even asked me! I told her she needed to change her schedule back to a 7am drop off, as it is not fair to my 3 kids to be woken up at 5am every morning and it is unrealistic to expect my husband and I to work from 5am to 5:30pm, 5 days per week. And we weren't even charging her extra!!!
Well, today she came in and told me that tomorrow would be his last day. She said she was sorry for the short notice but she was on a waiting list at a place closer to her home and they finally called her today and told her that they had room for her son. I was livid! I am so thankful for all of you ladies on here because you have given me the backbone that I needed for this situation. I told her that we have a policy in our parent handbook that requires she pay 2 weeks notice. I told her I had 3 tours last week and if I had known she was leaving, one of those kids may have been able to take her spot, but since she didn't give me time to enroll someone else she would have to pay the full 2 weeks notice.
What a total slap in the face!!! On the bright side though, I am so happy to be done with this family! The child costs me about 3 different tours that would have enrolled if he hadn't acted out. Now that I know he will be gone, I am excited to hold tours and see how it goes!