View Single Post
Daycare Mommy 06:03 AM 04-17-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i'm sorry, but i've worked in "chain daycares" and part of the job description IS cleaning up after children who have accidents.
Cleaning up the child is our job. No argument there. Also I'm sure we all agree that keeping the daycare environment clean and sanitary for the safety of all children present is our job. Taking the extra time to wash (or rinse) feces out of the child's soiled clothing is not.

#1 Depends on the state regulations whether you are even allowed to do this, as many have already stated.

#2 It makes an even bigger mess to attempt this. (I'm guessing this is why it is against state regs in many places)

#3 Too much time considering we've already burned up lots of time cleaning child (sometimes all the way up to a bath if it's a very bad mess) and washing and sanitizing whatever else was hit (cot, couch, rugs, toilet, sink, bathroom floor). We have other children to be caring for too. (Could be another reason the state regs are there for some of us) We've already cleaned most of the mess (child and whatever else was hit). After all that it's time to get back to spending time with the other 4 (or more) children whose parents are paying us "tons of money" to provide quality daycare for. The parent can do the laundry.

Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
when you keep children from home, it's no different- cleaning up messes is part of the territory. and yes, if a parent is paying anywhere from 150-200 a week - they shouldn't have poop sent home in a bag. furthermore, if you are charging 140 and keep 5 kids - by most people's standards, that is good money!

i am charging 175 a week and only keeping 4 kids, but i went to college for four years and earned a degree. i would never consider not cleaning up a child's underwear whose parents are paying nearly 800 bucks a month - which in my opinion most def. IS a "ton of money."
Soooo, does this mean that those of us who live in areas where the going rate is less than $150 have a reprieve from underwear scrubbing?

I will state this again. I DON'T make a ton of money. $25k last year, even if i did get to keep it all, is NOT a ton of money. And for 8 years of being open that's my record folks! People in my area charge $100-135 and when I started it was $80-$100. Most of us are providing meals and many are doing full preschool programs as well. $140 is a bit more than I make, but still after all the expenses... this isn't a profession you get into for the money.

$175 is unheard of here (4 year degree or not). So yeah, if you feel that you've worked really hard to get where you are and earn what you earn, and you decide that scrubbing underwear is important to you, by all means keep doing it. But I'll stand by what I said. Scrubbing poo out of dc kid underwear is not job requirement to be a daycare provider.

And no (in case anyone is wondering), NONE of the daycare parents over the last 8 years have had any problem with me giving them the poo bag the few times it's happened. It's in my contract that if potty accidents happen, I will clean kid and house, they clean the clothes.