View Single Post
Starburst 04:43 PM 07-28-2013
"I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe it would be cheaper to higher someone to come into your home, watch your TV, eat your food, use your electricity/water, and trust them to not snoop through your personal belongings or steal from you while paying them at least $8 per hour (minimum wage) for about 9 hours per day 5 days a week instead of a much lower flat rate of less then 1/4 of minimum wage per hour and about a 2/3 less per week. And don't forget overtime laws, taxes, background check fees, and reimbursing them if they buy your child a gift or use their own car to drive the child somewhere. "

Okay, so I probably wouldn't have the chutzpah to say that to someone but I would think it (or at least water it down a bit if I did say it).

P.S. I also heard (in my state at least) that they have been discussing for a while passing a law that, just like with other employees in other proffessions, that babysitters/nanny's will need to be provided a paid 15 minute break after ever 2 hours of work and a (non-paid) 1/2 hour lunch break before every 5 hour of work. Meaning the employers (aka the parents) will have to find substitute care every 2 hours for 15 minutes or 1/2 and will have to still pay both parties (the sub for the time she fills in and the regular sitter for their breaks but not their lunches). As well as overtime pay for over 8 hours.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/cultur...babysitter-pay