View Single Post
nannyde 08:38 AM 02-02-2011
This is a part of the commonly asked questions for children and the ADA.

5. Q: My insurance company says it will raise our rates if we accept children with disabilities. Do I still have to admit them into my program?

A: Yes. Higher insurance rates are not a valid reason for excluding children with disabilities from a child care program. The extra cost should be treated as overhead and divided equally among all paying customers.

Where this applies to home providers is the small NUMBERS of paying customers. If you only have a client base of three/four/five/six clients it takes VERY precious little to put the cost of special services into their fees before the extra costs requires the parents to leave the business and put their child into a program that is not supporting special needs care OR has hundreds of clients to share the costs.

This is REAL life.

You HAVE to have a client base to support the cost of special needs kids AND you must know when a child actually qualifies as a disabled kid. There is a LOT of confusion about this. Providers are just told to DO but not told that they do not have to DO expensive (time equals money) care if they do not have a client base to support it.