View Single Post
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:45 PM 01-23-2012
I'm sure it's not you! But I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has problems with just about everyone who comes in to "help". First the substitute who comes in to help out when owner needs day or a couple hours off. Not a help to me at all. Found it easier to work alone with the children (within state ratio of 10:1 of course). She's STILL the only one on our substitute list despite my numerous complaints to owner (substitutes are hard to find. Everyone needs consistant hours). And now it's the highschool intern... she's still young (16), so that explains a lot, but when she tries to act like she knows more than me and I need to do things the way they do at her school (preschool through highschool are all in one building, just different classrooms. She interned in their preschool class last time). And defies my authority right in front of the children (I was ready to implement a consequence, and she jumped in before I could and said, "well, the way I see it...and basically said it didn't matter what the child did). And she critiques my preschool methods and tells me how they do it at her school. And anytime the owner is around she talks the whole time to her while I take care of the children. It gets really annoying! But I don't think the owner has noticed anything wrong with how she acts and I hate to say anything since I know the owner would think I just can't get along with anybody. Plus intern's mom knows the owner a little bit from outside daycare. The girl's internship doesn't end until April, I think (she has a different internship each semester of highschool)
I'm glad to hear that your director listens to you and does something about it when you tell her what someone's doing wrong. Maybe she'd listen to some hiring tips? Good luck with your next assistant. Maybe you can put them through daycare boot camp during the training period and put the fear into them by telling them how each of the other assistants got let go (maybe she'll try to avoid doing those same things, knowing it won't be overlooked! )