View Single Post
daycarediva 09:57 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Ugh, I am sorry! I started out slow which helped tremendously. I also lucked out in getting great kids from a retiring great (strict!) provider. She had them trained!

But I don't think I really started making good money until after my own kids went to school, and I could fill their spaces with paying clients. Then I got bumped to Tier 1 on the food program which was a major jump.

A few things I did to make life easier for me and make me feel better about my program:

My kids rooms/toys were off limits. I bought day care toys for day care. This leveled the playing field by giving my kids the same rights as the day care kids - the right to their own space/things.

I get paid, no matter what. If I'm sick, if a dck kid is out sick, if I am off for a major holiday, etc etc etc. Doesn't matter. I get paid. I need to make a steady income to run a reliable program.

Having ONE day care area, with all other things inaccessible to the dck's. It makes my day so much more relaxing/stress free if I'm not worried that Sammy is going somewhere I don't want him to be to while I'm changing a diaper or making lunch.

Learned to handle minor issues without involving parents. I don't know your situation, but unless the behavior is completely inappropriate or dangerous, I handle it. If it becomes an ongoing issue, I will say something to the parent. But that rarely happens. I found that when I was too chatty, parents interpreted that as me not knowing what I was doing

But at the end of the day, only you know what you can handle. If you have an issue with changing jobs frequently, maybe look at some training you can take to land a job that you'd enjoy more?
great advice!

I also recommend really advertising/interviewing and RAISING YOUR RATES. You will make more money, and get parents who can afford to pay you.