View Single Post
QualiTcare 10:04 PM 10-13-2010
i think you should talk to his mom about it. she probably knows it's an issue, but just blows it off because it's easier than dealing with it. like other posters said - you don't want it rubbing off on the other kids. i've never let my own kids have toy guns (they don't even ask for them - they know it's not an option) or pretend to play or talk about guns. i'd be annoyed if a kid at daycare was talking like that and making my kid think it was acceptable after i've tried so hard to teach them the opposite. i used to play guns when i was a kid, but times have changed. my daughter who has never played or pretended with weapons got in trouble at daycare when she was 4 for saying she was going to shoot someone. she said a boy told her to say, "i'm going to shoot myself and then shoot everyone" or something like that - and then when she said it, he told the teacher what she said. the director approached us from the standpoing of, "if she had said that at school it could've been serious, blah blah." of course, when she talked about it, my daughter hadn't yet told me what the boy had done - which i believe because guns and killing wasn't even in her vocabulary. it was irrelevant anyway. she said it.

maybe you could approach the mom from that standpoint - that with all the "zero tolerance" stuff at schools these days, you're afraid he's going to get into trouble. you could even say another parent is concerned because their child has started repeating some of the things her son says. yes, lie! whatever it takes - i think you need to make this mother aware that it's not okay.