View Single Post
julie 10:00 AM 03-06-2013
Well, as someone who just finished a course in Fairy Tales and their origins, here are my thoughts on this. They were passed down in the oral tradition from passing travelers going from village to village as a means of entertainment. Since the storytellers were often different, the stories evolved, some were grimmer, some were more "sugary-and-kid oriented". Since entertainment seemed to involve the whole village, both kids and adults were in attendance at the telling of these stories. These stories often had two meanings to appeal to both audiences. While we can make guesses as to the subtext based on what was going on in the world at the time these stories originated, it's up to you how to interpret the story.

My professor said that "Little Red Riding Hood" could easily be a tale of caution to young women that "wolves", i.e. young men would be out to rape her and take her virginity if she didn't guard herself carefully, whereas the kids could take it as "Don't talk to strangers".

Different authors took these oral traditions and put them to paper starting about the 15th or 16th century. Some authors like the Grimm Brothers tended to go a little towards the dark side, while other authors like Perrault tended to have more of a light-hearted feel to them with funny morals at the end. The fact is neither approach is wrong. The reason fairy tales are so enduring is because they were easily adaptable and could appeal to many age ranges. Basically if you are looking to find something in a Fairy Tale, if you look hard enough, you can find what you're looking for.

Therefore, if you are looking for negativity and horrific things in fairytales Willow, you are sure to find them. There are surely adaptations of the verbal stories written by authors that tended towards the darker side of things. But that does not mean that the people that sugar-coated things a bit and wrote it more for kids are not true versions either. They are another adaptation of the oral tradition and that has been encouraged since the days of myths and legends in Greece. Did you know that one test of a true myth was its ability to be adapted and changed to suit its audience? If you were not there in the very beginning of time when the first storyteller thought up the story for his first audience, then you haven't heard the originals, so those that are saying that should stop preaching. I think it's great that the stories are shared in daycares, and that caregivers can choose whatever adaptation they are comfortable sharing with the children.