View Single Post
Starburst 10:03 AM 01-24-2015
Originally Posted by snbauser:
One other thing....

IMO you really should not be talking personnel issues with another employee. You are the boss and business owner. It's not the other employees business as to why another employee called out and whether you approve of their reason or not. I think talking about one employee negatively to another employee is both gossiping and can create a rift among employees. Just my personal opinion from when I had employees in my program and from when I worked outside the home.

OP: I noticed in some of the previous posts you mentioned that your lead assistant is "pressuring you", "this is what my lead wanted me to do", "My lead has the right to hire and fire people in my absents", "my lead doesn't want...", and "my lead said...". I think it may be time you re-evaluate this employee's role before you try to analyze your new employee. It sounds like your lead maybe starting to cross the line a bit, like she/he's getting up in your head and knows how to manipulate you (which can happen if you have worked with them for a long time). I'm not sure what your relationship is outside of work (friends, family, etc.) but boundary crossing is an issue that can occur after getting comfortable. Is this person your business partner or your employee? Because if she is your employee, IMHO, I think you have given her too much power.

All your employees, seasoned and new, have a right to fair treatment and confidentiality between them and the employer (it shouldn't have to be a privilege that needs to be earned), would you be talking about your lead behind their back with the new employee or another employee? If your lead unexpectedly missed work because someone in her family died last minute and she didn't say "Oh, by the way, my otherwise healthy aunt has a mild cold and there's less than a 4% chance she might kick the bucket at any moment." would you give her the benefit of the doubt?

Employees also deserve the right to a hostile free work environment. Working with children can be hostile enough with out your boss and co-workers talking about you behind your back. Right now, it seems like your lead has already pitted an "us vs. them" mentality with your employees. I understand she is your lead, but if she is not your business partner there are some things that just aren't her business and shouldn't be her decision.

It doesn't matter if the death was 'expected' or not, because unless you are God or the Grim Reaper (or whatever you believe in) no one can accurately predict death. My grandmother had Alzheimer for over 10 years (after a stroke), the last 7 years my mom would say "I think this is going to be my mom's last Christmas" and doctors suggested hospices several times through out the years, because of how fast she was deteriorating. She was actually starting to slightly improve (gaining a little weight, some signs of mental clarity) before she died in her sleep last year.

Personally, yes, I would be a little irked at first that my new assistant had to miss work when I needed her; but I would trust that most people would not willingly jeopardize a new job without a good reason. If someone close to you in your family died (unexpectedly or not) you would most likely hope that others respect your feelings and understand you may need some time to grieve or be there for other family members.

At the end of the day everything is your decision, not your lead's and not us. After all, who's the boss: you or your lead assistant?

Originally Posted by daycare:

I know this sounds bad, but with the way young people are these days, it's really hard to find help that is not entitled to everything and actually works when they are here. I have not been through too many employees thank goodness, I try to make this a fun and inviting place to work. I love what I do and they can see that so we are all always having a good time together.
and yes, honestly, that does sound bad/unfair to lump one group of people together and assume they are all alike (irresponsible and 'entitled to everything').

I am in the age group of what most people on here would call "young people" (under 25). I am currently nannying for two families (infant and a special needs tween) and on average work 7 days a week for $5/hr for both families. One of the families takes up my full weekend from 6:45 am until 9:30 at night on Saturdays and Sundays (a 2 hour break each day when grandparents take him to therapy or bowling) and I watch both on Monday (baby while the older boy is at school).

I did call in last Monday for the baby because the weather was affecting my asthma the last few days and didn't want to risk getting the baby sick, but it was also MLK day so the school ager was out of school and I had him all day (he was already getting over a cold so I was making sure I didn't catch anything and pass it to the baby). The baby isn't too much of a deal because that's more of a mother's helper thing (the mom is usually home and just needs someone to watch/play with him while she sleeps before her friend watches him in the afternoon while she works).

Even when I worked at a home daycare (late teens/earlier 20's) I was always reliable, often filled in for the providers own daughter (my roommate) who was older than me and knew she could get away with a lot more than other employees. She actually used to make inappropriate and even racist (that didn't apply to me) comments and jokes about me being a hard worker and willing to work for less than everyone else.

I have known young people who were very hard working and selfless and I have known older people who were very lazy and selfish (and, of course, vice versa). It's all based on the individual and their personal values, not yours or your assistants assumptions of what 'young people' are like these days.