Thread: Okay Snack?
View Single Post
Baby Beluga 02:28 PM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I am located in California.... Southern California which actually may be worse when it comes to all the allergy and food preferences - that is the #1 reason I do not provide meals. I only offer morning snack.

I am also guilty of being so "California" I ended up with a dd with a peanut allergy. As an allergy mom I know a simple kiss with someone who recently had peanuts could kill her... so even tough I do not have a peanut allergy I do not enjoy peanuts anytime I may have contact with my child (which is all the time)
I think having families providing meals is a great move. May I ask how that works with your DS? Are your families cautious about sending in safe foods? Or is it a non issue since she is away at school (if I remember she is SA, right?)

I 100% get avoiding foods your child is allergic to. DS is allergic to peanuts. Anaphylaxis. We carry two pens, as I am sure your DD does too It started off with him not being able to ingest peanuts but was able to be around them. One day DD was eating crackers with peanut butter and afterward kissed DS on the forehead. He broke out in the worst rash with facial swelling. So now we are totally peanut free. No one can bring food into our home except DH and myself. No bulk bin purchases that DS will consume. Family members have to wash hands upon arrival at our house. No kissing on the lips. And now I am fighting with the insurance company on issuing a second set of pens. Our insurance will only cover generic. All of the pharmacies within a 50 mile radius of us only have the brand epi pen. If this can't be sorted out before the current pens expire we will be forking out the money for the brand name epi pen.

The difference between this mom and me though is I actually had my children tested. She didn't. Mom had the allergy and wanted to be on the safe side for her child in case her child also had allergies. Which I totally get. But if she was so concerned for her child's well being I would have assumed "not wanting her child to be poked with needles" would not have been her reason for opting out of testing. I mean, you go to the ER in anaphylactic shock you will be poked with a lot more needles than what is necessary for an allergy screening blood draw.