View Single Post
dEHmom 06:56 AM 07-15-2011
I don't have a problem with the kids being excited to see someone and want to give hugs. But I have 3 kids of my own, and 2 dogs, that all want IMMEDIATE attention hugs kisses, jump up in peoples arms, etc. It's complete chaos when someone comes for a visit. Including one of my dcd's. My kids love him to pieces because he will always stop and play ball, watch them ride their bikes, throw frisby etc. He loves doing it with my kids, but kids don't understand that 3 people (4 including his son!) chatting at the same time, all dying for the attention is overwhelming.

It's difficult for me to let dcd know about dcb's day, etc, when I've got to wait for a moment when the kids calm down.

So once again, if you don't have a crowd of kids all demanding attention at the same time, it's not an issue. My kids will always run up to the gate at the kitchen/living doorway and wait for daddy to come in. But when the gate is down, or open, they charge the backdoor. The dogs get excited and then now there's kids and dogs demanding attention. It truly can be chaos.

I've explained to my kids many many times, to sit on the couch and be quiet. That they can say hi and answer any questions that people ask, but dcd/dcm doesn't need to know that dcb cried all day, or spilled a drink. I've even resorted to sending them outside, or to their rooms because they just can't seem to remember that it's my turn to talk, not theirs.