View Single Post
Stepping 12:26 PM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Hello oh wise providers! I need your help as I might have a problem. I have too many families expecting. I will hold spots for infants at no cost, first come, first served. Problem: Accepted first parent request to hold spot. I am 99.9% sure she will be back with her infant (I already care for the first child). I know their attendance schedule already.

Parent #2: I told that family I would most likely need a variance but sure it isn't going to be a worry. Initially this family told me they are due early summer and then I would get baby after their maternity leave. Now they are being iffy about if I will keep their other child in my care and not sure how long the leave is going to be. I have told them that I need an answer about the details. Still don't have that answer.

Parent #3: Another current family is now expecting and wants me to care for their new little one. I know their schedule as well as to start dates, etc. I cannot take family #3 at all (even with variance) just because family #2 is not committing to anything.

Can I send a letter to parent #2 telling them I must have a detailed plan from them by a certain date or care will not be available? They have been with me a long time and I am just getting a vibe that they are not going to come back after next baby and I will have lost family #3 in the meantime.

I also have a waiting list. Infant and other care is in high demand here. I hate putting all of these other families off knowing they can make a commitment.

My fault: my leave policy is too vague. I obviously need a new policy. I don't mind holding a spot if family is good about letting me know what their intentions are but I don't want to let other good clients (and potential clients) go..............

Any input?
I have the same issue here with 4 current families expecting new siblings. I'm thinking of writing up a new policy which states that I will hold spots for up to two months with a months deposit but that I will be actively recruiting other clients to fill any empty spaces up until that two month period.

I'm not sure how to word it though. Did you write a new policy for this situation?