Thread: Advice Needed
View Single Post
Unregistered 07:14 PM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by mrs.meg:
Question for those of you with experience:

I have been doing home daycare off and on for 4 years. I quit for a while to take care of my youngest when she was born. I started back in August of this year and want to know what I can do to make this a more pleasant experience. I could never find a decent child care provider for my children, so that is why I decided to stay home and try it myself, because I really do love children. The problem is, I just do not like it. I have 4 daughters of my own 3 are in school and my youngest is 2 at home with me. I only watch 2 boys ages 3 1/2 and 18 months. I feel that all day long is a power struggle, I know they have rarely heard the word NO at home, so I feel that when they come to my house, that is all I do, tell them no, don't do that, etc. It has taken me 3 months to even get them to sit and read books and actually let me read without taking the book, running around, etc. I don't know if it is just me, or if it is the kids that I watch or if I am just not used to boys because they are so different. I know that some people are made for this and I probably am not one of them, but I really want to try to get better at this so that I can help provide for my family. I really need the income right now, but some days I just cry when I get them down for their nap. The boys came from a daycare facility and I try to have a routine, but I am sure I am not as structured as daycare would be. Any advice would be much appreciated.

One thing you need to remember is, daycare children are not like your own, you can send them away and get new ones. I'm sorry you haven't been having a good experience. If you are married, you can be more picky, until you find the perfect families. One problem child (hitter, bitter, fusser, snatcher, crier, etc...), cab truly be more stress, hassle, tears (literally) than 3 or even more good natured children. We are licensed for 8 children. We had 7 children (3 families) that all moved out of state/country between last Christmas and March of 2008. These children were with us from the beginning (we had all but 1 since birth). Ever since then, it has not been the same, but if you start out with young/new born you can mold them to fit into your home/family. It truly does make a difference. Also, you need to interview/advertise until you find the ones you like (what type of parent you get makes a difference, that is the major factor as to how nice and peaceful your daycare relationship will be).