View Single Post
sleepinghart 10:06 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I asked the mom last Thursday right out about why is was not brought up, and that is exactly what she said. DCG was only 11 months when she started here, so it was completely normal that she wasn't talking at that point. I told her that I understood how it was forgotten, but now that she isn't talking or responding to basic commands like "sit down", "No", "lets go" I wanted to see what the Dr. says at her 18 month appointment. After that appointment I wanted to have a discussion about what the plans are for helping her communicate.

Just FTR how this was brought up in the first place was last month. DCM asked me if DCG was talking at all at my house. I told her no, and she said "Oh, did we mention she had a traumatic birth that caused hearing loss". So Mom brought the speech issue up, not me.

I had a DCB here started around 14 months and left at 19 months. During that time he did not start talking. They brought him in for evaluations and it was a simple speech delay. Mom came in and had a hour long talk with me about how I am supposed to help DCB learn basic words. She basically trained me on what she had been trained to do. THAT is how this should be dealt with.

I am perfectly comfortable caring for a child who needs help communicating, I just need to know how to move forward with it, now that it is known that she has some "hearing loss". I however am NOT going to continue to have DCM be rude and dismissive to me.

~Hi MCC ! I'm just wondering if there have been any updates to this situation if you don't mind my asking & I also went ahead and added a few thoughts I had while catching up with this thread.

(MCC quote)"I asked the mom last Thursday right out about why is was not brought up, and that is exactly what she said"(end quote)

~So, she knew about the hearing loss at the time of enrollment but said it just slipped her mind...She forgot, is that right(did she say how long exactly she had known btw)? Idk the woman or family but in my very personal opinion-- Well, I just don't buy that(as the reason it was not disclosed to you that is).

~From your previous thread:

(MCC quotes)"I have a 18 month DCG that has been here since June"

~So, she's been in your care for what...roughly 5 or so months?

"..HOWEVER, about a month ago she stopped napping..."

"A couple of weeks ago, DCM asked me if she was talking at my house and I said no, and then she informed me that she had some hearing loss and is supposed to be wearing aids, that she is not wearing.(end quotes)[/font]

~Was this the first time Mom had ever asked you this or anything related to DCG talking? If so, and this is totally & completely my thinking based on what little I know and I am very aware I could be utterly & totally wrong-- I find it a tad odd that she brought it up to you on this day and at this particular time-- I mean, after all we are talking about the dismissive woman who once said something along the lines of...."Look, I can't keep having these conversations with you" to you, right? It all seems just a bit random & very out-of-the-blue.....but I'm thinking it wasn't and that more than likely there was a very specific reason she asked you this at that point in time and that's what I'd like to know.

~Also you mentioned in one thread, concerning the naps, that Mom stated DCG didn't take afternoon naps(at home or on her watch or whatever) anymore. Do you know why that is? ...Or possibly have any ideas what may have changed within the last month or so with regard to her naps/lack thereof?

(MCC quote) "I told her that I understood how it was forgotten, but now that she isn't talking or responding to basic commands like "sit down", "No", "lets go" I wanted to see what the Dr. says at her 18 month appointment. After that appointment I wanted to have a discussion about what the plans are for helping her communicate" (end quote)

~So how did she respond to ^^all this^^? ....Promising?

~Last but not least- About Mom pulling on the account of being "offended"-

(begin MCC quotes)"She told me she was OFFENDED that I would say that there was something wrong with her child.."

~You never said anything of the sort of what she accuses. IMHO, this is a classical case of psychological projection(where one projects their very own undesirable, unmanageable, etc. emotions, traits, feelings that they cannot accept onto other people); it is a defense mechanism and a very common one at that. We project our own unpleasant feelings onto someone else and blame them for having thoughts that we really have- She is blaming you for the thoughts she is having or that she has had-- So when she says "I'm offended because you think that and said that there is "something wrong" with my child", she is actually saying "I strongly believe there is something wrong with my child and I can't handle that". She can protect her fragile state by making you out to be the bad guy to blame(.."it's not her who has those "bad/negative" thoughts about her very own flesh & blood-- "It's you- you awful person!")-- This is the only means of protection she has right now to a sitaution/issue that is so overwhelming to her that she cannot properly and adequately deal with it at this time without some kind of major turmoil. She is scared, anxious, etc. about the dd having hearing loss and for whatever reason she associates that as being "something wrong with her" or "not normal" and she cannot handle that...Not at this time anyway.

"I also assured her that I never said there was something wrong with her kid"

~Again, you did not say that. You've stated perfectly to us here what you said to her and it was nothing of the sort, but rather it was very kind & professional .

"And that she thinks I said her kid had something wrong with them.." (end quotes)

~Yes...Unfortunately, yes she does think you said that. And she will continue to see it that way until her 'moment of clarity' happens or "she sees the light" and hopefully that day is not too far off and she will actually surprise you by apologizing -- after getting help for her daughter of course. Like I said, it has nothing to do with you....She is scared, anxious, etc. about her dd having hearing loss and for whatever reason she associates that as being "something wrong with her" or "not normal" and she cannot handle it...Not at this time anyway. You can try and reassure her eleventy billion times that you never said that if you'd like, but it wouldn't do much good because as I said, it's all about her, and not you.