View Single Post
dEHmom 05:43 AM 12-18-2010
Here's where I am at on this subject...

AGREE-
being a smoker does not impact the quality or value of care, it does not make the person a bad person, and I wouldn't pull my child out just because they smoked, if I was assured and felt comfortable in the fact that they are outside smokers, the kids will NEVER see them smoking or find out they are.
I would pull my child out if the provider stated they did not smoke period, but find out they actually do (that means they lied, and i would have to question their character).
I always just considered asking if they smoke was mainly related to issues of asthma. If your child is allergic to smoke or anything it would be no different than if they were allergic to pets and they wanted to know if you had pets in the house.

DISAGREE-
that everything will smell of smoke. I know many people who smoke and their own husband/wife doesn't know.

EJ that is awful about that womans house. Everyone who comes to my house has never had to be told to smoke outside. They just automatically do it. I think as a courtesy, you just assume as a smoker, that you smoke outside unless they say "hey it's ok, here's an ashtray".

As for a stop smoking aid, I have to admit my husband and I tried many times cold turkey, patches, gum nothing worked. 10 days on champix and we were done smoking. Still had to continue for the duration of the treatment. I think in USA it's chantix? I would definitely recommend this product to anyone trying to quit. Even I had a history of depression and it didn't make me depressed. Although that is one side affect to watch for. It makes you a little upset in the tummy for about 1/2 hr after you take it.

As for the points about people smoking at the doorways, even when I was a smoker, I couldn't stand walking into places where people were smoking at the door. Even at the hospitals when the patients and visitors stood in the doorways. Now you have to be ridiculously far away from the entrances/exits of businesses to smoke. The hospitals you have to be way out on the public sidewalks, etc. I'm not sure of the actual distance but I figure it to be about 200ft. Although you still see those jackasses smoking at the hospital entrance because they either don't read, can't read or don't care.
You can actually get slapped with a big ticket if caught smoking in a doorway or near an entrance to a business.